2019.10.28 → Reworded history into history.
To-Do: D4DJ, RADIO RIOT, more cleanup
RAISE A SUILEN is the third band in the BanG Dream! franchise.
They started as a back band named “THE THIRD (仮)” for Bandori bands that could not play their instruments live (Afterglow • Pastel✽Palettes • Hello, Happy World! • Glitter☆Green). While they still perform this role, they have since evolved into a full band in the franchise with their own characters.
Raychell (Vo/Ba) → LAYER, Wakana Rei
Natsume (Dr) → LOCK, Asahi Rokka
Kurachi Reo (Key) → MASKING, Satou Masuki
Kohara Riko (Gt) → PAREO, Nyuubara Reona
Tsumugi Risa (DJ) → CHU², Tamade Chiyu
The most commonly asked question is “What is a SUILEN?”
SUILEN stands for curtain, as in a stage/bamboo curtain. The kanji is similar to that of 暖簾 (noren), whose second character means “bamboo screen”. Possible spellings are 翠簾 or 垂簾 (suiren), but the important point is that SUILEN = curtain. This ties into an overarching theme of “coming out from the shadows”, which is also reflected in the characters’ stage names.
The “face” of RAISE A SUILEN” is perhaps the five of us standing on stage but the staff, all the BanG Dreamers who support RAS, and Sae-san too.
I think that together we are all “Team RAS” [チームRAS].
That’s why is if there’s someone who says that they like RAS, or if there’s someone who compliments RAS, I feel like Team RAS is being recognized and that makes me all the more happy✨
From now on as a fellow member, to thank everyone for their “love” and “effort”, I will devote myself to unashamedly playing, performing, and dancing so that they’ll think “Team RAS, Team Bandori! is wonderful”!Kurachi Reo – 2019.02.23
RAISE A SUILEN traces back to the Bushiroad 10th Anniversary Live on 2017.04.30, where Raychell (Vo/Ba) performed her original song with Natsume (Dr) and Otsuka Sae (Gt, Hanazono Tae). Soon after, Kurachi Reo (Key/Vo) was introduced and they evolved into the third Bandori live band, aptly named THE THIRD（仮）(仮 denoting temporary). THE THIRD（仮）first performed as a back band at Garupa Live on 2018.01.13-14 for Afterglow, Pastel✽Palettes, Hello, Happy World!, Glitter☆Green stages with their respective vocalists’ seiyuu singing.
Their 1st Live with Otsuka Sae as a guest guitarist was held 2018.03.25 at Shimokitazawa GARDEN, the same venue as the very first Poppin’Party live! It featured their new original song, R・I・O・T, along with many Garupa covers (w/ Kurachi Reo singing most Pasupare/HHW songs). Kohara Riko (Gt) was introduced in the latter part of this live. You can listen to the album version of the live here! Footage of this live comes with the BD version of their first single, R・I・O・T. Their 2nd Live w/ guest Maeshima Ami (Maruyama Aya) was held 2018.07.17 at Mynavi BLITZ AKASAKA and debuted a new member, Tsumugi Risa (DJ), as well as an original song, UNSTOPPABLE. It was here that their official name, RAISE A SUILEN, was announced!
RAS performed stages at “Kariya Anime collection Super Live 2018” on 2018.10.27 and CharaExpo USA 2019 on 2018.11.10. Their 3rd live “Brave New World” (Bandori 6th Live, Day 1) w/ guest Itou Miku (Tsurumaki Kokoro) was held 2018.12.07 at Ryōgoku Kokugikan. This live introduced their characters and announced their appearance in BanG Dream! 2nd Season along with a new manga “RAiSe!” which began monthly serialization in the February issue of Gekkan Bushiroad on 2019.01.08.
Their 4th live “Genesis” (Bandori 7th Live, Day 2) w/ guests Maeshima Ami, Itou Miku, Misawa Sachika (Aoba Moca), and Mimori Suzuko (Ushigome Yuri) was held on 2019.02.22 at Nippon Budokan. They performed as the opening act for Day 2 of Poppin’Party x SILENT SIREN “NO GIRL NO CRY” at MetLife Dome on 2019.05.19.
RAS’ 5th live and first solo live was “Heaven and Earth“, held over two days at Kobe World Memorial Hall. Day 1 (2019.07.13) featured Maeshima Ami and Day 2 (2019.07.14) featured Itou Miku. They also held a special additional performance for Heaven and Earth titled “UNSTOPPABLE LIVE” on the second day of D4DJ 1st LIVE, featuring a shortened version of their Heaven and Earth set list.
They performed at “Animelo Summer Live 2019 -STORY-” on 2019.08.31 and “ANIMAX MUSIX 2019 KOBE” on 2019.10.26. Their first music festival appearances were at Aso Rock Festival on 2019.09.29 and Magurock 2019 on 2019.10.05. RAS will be holding its first joint live, “Rausch und/and Craziness“, with Roselia at Makuhari Messe on 2019.11.30-12.01.
From 2018.11.05 through 2018.12.18, they were the special guests on Monday for All Night Nippon’s “ミュ～コミ＋プラス” (Mu~Comi+Plus). They also performed this stage with Maeshima Ami for a “超演奏してみた” (Chou-Ensou Shitemita) live stream on 2018.04.28 and a live at CharaExpo USA 2018 on 2018.11.10. On 2019.07.28, they performed a short 40-minute set from Heaven & Earth at WONDERFUL HOBBY LIFE FOR YOU 30.
On 2019.01.24, RAS began a weekly radio show called “RAISE A SUILEN’S RADIO R・I・O・T” hosted by Kurachi Reo and Tsumugi Risa.
Here is detailed information on all the guitar/bass equipment used at RAS lives!
Style / Discography
Their concerts are a beautiful, eclectic mess performed with explosive, headbanging zeal. Songs range from their rock/electronic-fusion originals, to Afterglow’s cool punk rock, to Pastel Palette’s sugary idol songs, to Hello Happy World’s off-the-wall fun tunes.
For 7th Live, RAS performed through their entire set (18 songs) with no intermission or encore, earning them praise on their stamina from Mimori Suzuko during her MC. They also surprised the audience by allowing everyone to record and post their second performance of EXPOSE ‘Burn out!!!’ (YouTube playlist) on social media!
[2018.09.26] THE THIRD（仮）1st ライブ
[2019.02.20] A DECLARATION OF x x x
[2019.06.19] Invincible Fighter
一緒に暴れましょう！ Let’s RIOT together!
- R・I・O・T (1st Live)
- R・I・O・T (2nd Live, Tsumugi Risa debut)
- A DECLARATION OF ××× (Studio Live)
- A DECLARATION OF ××× (7th Live)
- EXPOSE ‘Burn out!!!’ (7th Live, Fan Recording Playlist)
- EXPOSE ‘Burn out!!!’ (NO GIRL NO CRY DAY2)
- That is How I Roll! (Afterglow)
- Mou Ichido Luminous (Pastel*Palettes)
- History of RAS
The members of RAS are very active on social media and Bandori programs!
They frequently post pictures together and comment on each others’ posts.
- CharaExpo USA 2018 Translated Posts
- RAS 2018 Christmas house party
- Raychell describes her fellow members (Bandori TV 35, ty Fanks!)
- RAS goofing around at Disneyland
- RAS cheers up a downtrodden Natsume
- RAS on Rikopin’s stubby hand complex
- “We are… RAISE A SUILEN!!!!! Fooooo!!!!!” has become somewhat of a catchphrase for RAS
- Raychell, Natsume, and Tsumugi Risa love spicy food but Kurachi Reo can’t handle it
★ Raychell (れいちぇる) (Avex Profile)
|Role||LAYER / Wakana Rei (Ba, Vo)|
|Nicknames||Chell (ちぇる), Ray (レイ, Natsume only)|
|Social Media||Twitter, Instagram, Blog/Gree (Old)|
Raychell originally went by the stage name “Lay” between 2010-2013, and released her first album titled L▶R to signify her change from Lay to Raychell. In addition to performing as a solo artist, she also joined the reformed SHAZNA along with Natsume on 2017.08.27. Raychell has been hosting a radio corner on NACK5 called “R World Radio” since late 2010. Otsuka Sae was previously the assistant (now Shizaki Kanon) for this show and RAS members have appeared on the show as guests.
The members endearingly refer to Chell as RAS’ mother, and Raychell happily embraces the role. She started bringing snacks to rehearsals for Reo and even brought homemade onigiri at one point! Raychell also has a playful side and loves to mess around with her children, especially with her character impressions.
- Has never done voice work before and LAYER is her first seiyuu role!
- Watches Bandori 2nd Season episodes every night before bed
- For some time now, Raychell’s Instagram posts have all been in black & white, including pictures that she posted in color on Twitter
- Enjoys hot drinks and will often post pictures of hot milk, lattes, and so on
- Has a tendency to interact with and post about anything Bandori-related on social media
- Her father is a crazy Natsume fan
- Owns cats named Maetel, Kotetsu, Makkii, and Shachou
- Celebrated Kohara Riko’s birthday three times in 2019, saying it’s fine to celebrate happy things however many times
- Never misses a Bandori character’s birthday on Twitter
★ Natsume (夏芽)
|Role||MASKING / Sato Masuki (Dr)|
|Nicknames||Natsupii (なつぴー), NatsuP (夏P)|
|Social Media||Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Blog/Blog (Old)|
Natsume has played the drums for around 13-15 years and even has a drum lesson DVD (preview). She was previously part of a band but circumstances led to the band breaking up (possibly refers to Claddagh Ring [video], 2008-2012) and she decided to stick with solo activities until she found the right band. Over the years, Natsume has performed drum support for the MARCY BAND, HEESEY, BARBARS, Cyntia, Shinku Horou, Arashi, Otsuki Maki, and many others. NatsuP also joined reformed SHAZNA along with Raychell on 2017.08.27.
Natsume is known as the RAS member with the biggest moe gap. Her fellow members have noted that, despite her outward appearance, her pureness comes out the moment she starts talking! For her first anime recording, she wore a long skirt to hide her shaking legs (RADIO RIOT #5). NatsuP was crazy happy about RAS getting characters and when she heard about the RAS x GEKIROCK clothing collab, she bounced up and down in joy. She loves Sailor Moon, and her favorites are Sailor Moon, Chibiusa, and Sailor Uranus. For the RAS Christmas party, her exchange gift was a pair of fluffy socks. In November 2018, Natsupii adopted an Italian Greyhound named Rim (リム) and has not stopped posting pictures of her on Instagram since. This is her signature.
- She met Otsuka Sae for the first time and Raychell for the second time at rehearsals for Bushiroad 10th Anniversary.
- Pearl drums has supported her for over 10 years, from her indies days all the way up to selling MASKING model snare drums and drumsticks.
- Has composed music (transcribing it herself) and does studio recording for drums
- Likes comments on her social media posts! Send her kind messages =)
- MASKING was her first voice acting role. Natsupii had dreamed of doing voice acting, adding that Bandori is making her dreams come true one by one
- Wants you to know that RAS lives are headbanging (“but don’t feel obligated and enjoy it in your own way”), so people who plan on headbanging with them should stretch out their necks beforehand ⚠️
- Can full combo 26 difficulty songs in Garupa. Used to play with her middle fingers but has since switched to thumbs
- One drummer that inspired her to start the drums is LEVIN
- Enjoys puzzles!
- Natsume also started attaching the Korean BanG Dream hashtag (#뱅드림) to her posts around June 2019 and has continued to do so since. Raychell started doing the same shortly after!
★ Kurachi Reo (倉知 玲鳳)
|Role||PAREO / Nyubara Reona (Key, Vo)|
|Nicknames||Reo-chan (れおちゃん), Reochi (れおち)|
|Social Media||Twitter, Instagram, Ameba Blog, LINE Blog|
|Hosts||RAISE A SUILEN’s RADIO R・I・O・T|
Reo has played the piano since she was 2. Her hobby is dancing and her skills include incredible penmanship. Despite having experience on the piano, RAS is her first time working as a musician (Source: 三森すずことアニソンパラダイス, 2018.12.11). In April 2018, Reo started voicing a horse-racing mascot named 恵王エル (Keio Elu / KOL) and also hosted her radio show (Song). Reo voices Yumeōji Fumi in Revue Starlight ReLIVE. In January 2018, she began hosting “RAISE A SUILEN’s RADIO R・I・O・T” along with Tsumugi Risa!
Reo has the most elaborate showmanship in RAS, incorporating headbanging, high kicks, intense facial expressions, spins, and more! Reo and Riko were taught how to two-step for UNSTOPPABLE and now incorporate the move into other songs on their own. Fans have taken to drawing her hyper-active performances like this and this. Reo smashed her headset mic into her keyboard and broke it at CharaExpo (then tried to use Raychell’s microphone but was too short!). For 6th Live, her stylists were extra prepared and ran her headset through her braids so that she couldn’t shake it off.
- Reo has a small stuffed bear named Kumachi (くまち) that she carries with her absolutely everywhere.
- Reo welcomed Kumachi into her life on August 19, 2018. The ribbon on Kumachi’s head is from Saechi’s outfit at her solo live “I’m an Egg!“, which happened on the same day!
- Kumachi has a pseudo corner in RADIO R・I・O・T where Kumachi (CV. Kumachi Reo) solves people’s troubles!
- Kumachi is made by NICI Japan. Reo mentioned washing Kumachi with a special shampoo and they sell this
- She attached a smart tracking tag to Kumachi and gets phone notifications if they are separated
- Reo’s Twitter account is staff-run but most of the posts, including this one about eating grapes at 2AM, are by Reo. You can identify them as the ones signed “byれお” (byReo), though she sometimes forgets the signature
- Reo will occasionally retweet / reply to Staff posts on her account
- As of July 2019, her account is no longer staff-run and her posts are no longer signed!
- Reo was inspired to become a seiyuu after her mother got her a K-ON! character song single
- Plays on a Roland FA-08 (88 keys) and two FA-06s (61 keys) at lives
- Loves 1/3 sweetness hot drinks with creamer, usually soy milk
- She loves snacks and amazake
- Raychell described Reo as being “like a squirrel“. When Raychell asked TsumuTsumu to describe Reo, Tsumu called her “an eating squirrel” and further added that she always mumbles (chews on her words) but works harder than anyone else
- Classmates with Maeshima Ami (Aya) in elementary school, and they both did flag spinning in the color guard for marching band
- Her first ever autograph session was at CharaExpo USA 2018
- Reo “buried in the ground with a horse trampling on her back“
- The RAS members surprised Reo by singing Happy Birthday to her when she arrived at rehearsal and Reo started singing along without thinking
- Loves taking pictures of RAS and is sometimes referred to as RAS’ Cameraman
Thank you so much, everyone!Kurachi Reo
Our connection is my treasure! I love you!!!
★ Kohara Riko (小原 莉子)
|Role||LOCK / Asahi Rokka (朝日 六花)|
|Nicknames||Rikopin (りこぴん), O-Riko (お莉子)|
|Social Media||Twitter, YouTube, NicoNico|
Riko was perhaps best known as the guitarist for the real life version of The Sketchbook (2011-2015) from Sket Dance. Throughout 2014, Riko streamed for Phantasy Star Online 2 as an ARKS Cadet. She currently co-hosts a gaming stream called Ge-Gaku! (ゲーがく！) and appears in streams for the PS4 game Border Break. She previously hosted a corner in Bandori TV with Otsuka Sae called “Saechi and Rikopin’s Jam Session” where they shared Bandori announcements through improvised songs. She also voices Nibukawa Manami for Onsen Musume and Gekkou for Senran Kagura. At her first solo event, it was announced that she would be voicing Tatekayoko from Gifu no Tatekayoko, a series about her hometown of Gifu!
Rikopin is the mood maker of RAS, being extremely talkative and thoughtful of those around her. She stayed up past 7AM writing thoughtful, individualized responses in her 20k Q&A and even acknowledged people who frequently commented on her posts (without them mentioning this). From time to time, Rikopin will also peek at her fans’ Twitters, stating that her fans care about her so she wants to know more about her fans as well. At CharaExpo, Tsumutsumu accidentally passed MC to Raychell as she was tuning her bass but Rikopin quickly engaged the audience to make up for the mistake. She’s also the second yabee yatsu of RAS. One day, Rikopin tweeted about eating tissues and it has followed her ever since (she also gets tissues as presents at events). Sometimes Rikopin plays a real life shoujo manga character in love (Tsumu, Mikku, Mikku Again, Aimi, Saechi, etc…).
- 20k twitter followers Q&A
- It has been her dream to become a seiyuu since middle school!
- Started playing the guitar around the age of 18, giving her over 10 years of experience
- She decided on Rikopin Nouen (Rikopin Plantation) as the name for her fanbase at her second solo event in August 2019
- Previously posted guitar covers on her YouTube and NicoNico channels, and would like to do Bandori covers if she can get permission.
- Has a guitar lesson DVD, with a section devoted to her beloved knee socks (1,2,3)
- Previously loved wearing knee socks but has more recently taken to looking at others wear them instead
- Her recent hobby is aromatherapy
- She loves lavender and green juice, the former being thanks to her father
- Rikopin owns a pigeon, making her bird buddies with Saechi!
- Wants to go bungee jumping again
- Can full combo 26 difficulty songs in Garupa
- Rikopin did the player character female voices A07, A08, and A12 as well as male voice A07 for Phantasy Star Online 2.
- Has complexes about her shoulders and fingers but is overcoming them together with RAS
- Someone commented on her post with a cute sprite of her guitar spin during UNSTOPPABLE and Rikopin retweeted it, expressing how happy she was that they watched her performance closely enough to catch this.
- The biggest fan of her own characters.
- Opens her mornings with random kaomojis saying “good morning”
- Nibukawa Minami reached 3rd place in the Onsen Musume general elections in 2018, perhaps in part thanks to Rikopin liking every tweet voting for her!
- Has recommended strandberg’s “characteristic lightness and ease-of-use” too many times
- Has a thing about editing people into photos, such as this photo with Takagi Yurika or her birthday card to Tsumugi Risa
- Has a cooking-themed Niconico channel along with Tsumugi Risa called “Kohara Riko and Tsumugi Risa’s Growth Observation Report“.
★ Tsumugi Risa (紡木 吏佐)
|Role||CHU² / Tamade Chiyu (DJ)|
|Social Media||Twitter, Instagram|
TsumuTsumu is the 5th and final member to join RAS. She was inspired to become a seiyuu in middle school after seeing a live anime dubbing session with Hirano Aya. However, she struggled to the point where her parents told her it was about time to give up. Tsumu now cherishes each and every character that she voices even if they have no name and her mother is huge fan of CHU², going so far as to create her own CHU² phone lock screen and keep a clear case in her room filled with CHU² goods. Revue Starlight fans may recognize Tsumu as the voice of Akikaze Rui in ReLIVE. In January 2018, she began hosting “RAISE A SUILEN’s RADIO R・I・O・T” along with Kurachi Reo!
TsumuTsumu is the yabee yatsu of RAS (~madlad), coined around November 2018 when RAS was appearing on Mu~Comi+Plus. She has a tendency to do random things like spouting “D-D-D-D-D-DJ!”, taking Raychell as her perch 30 minutes before a live (pt.2), and this. Her exchange gift at the RAS Christmas party was a “Throat-Friendly TsumuTsumu SET“. At first, TsumuTsumu didn’t really know what she’d be doing as a DJ but she’s found her place in showmanship and MC duties. Because she went to international school until 3rd year elementary, TsumuTsumu speaks fairly decent English and provides English MC + real-time translations during RAS lives!
- Keeps fan letters in a box and reads them when she needs motivation.
- Likes places where you can “feel the earth” (nature, mountains, shrines, etc.) and visits them to revitalize herself.
- Forms TonoTsumu together with fellow HiBiKi seiyuu, Tono Hikaru (Tonopii). They previously hosted a corner called “Getsubushi News” on Gekkan Bushiroad TV and have an ongoing series of competitions with each other on HiBiKi StYle. Otsuka Sae has also gotten closer to both of them and they have a LINE group.
- TonoTsumu plays two of the five main characters in the upcoming anime, Bermuda Triangle: Colorful Pastrale. The main cast from this show all went to watch TsumuTsumu at 6th live (Amane’s tweet)!
- She is good at drawing.
- Tsumu LOVES jerky.
- She didn’t have her own dedicated monitor until Bandori 6th live and had to squint at Raychell and Rikopin’s monitor before that!
- Highly adept at social interactions and modern day inventions like traveling beds or human washing machines (pt.2).
- The way she speaks and writes veers into an interesting range, mixing slang, abbreviations, and obnoxiously cute spins on words. She also interweaves humble/archaic phrases, often referring to herself with “watakushi” and using “de gozaimasu” in her casual speech.
- Reo’s toothbrush.
- Has a cooking-themed Niconico channel along with Kohara Riko called “Kohara Riko and Tsumugi Risa’s Growth Observation Report“.
★ Otsuka Sae (大塚 紗英)
Nickname: Saechi (さえチ)
Social Media: Twitter, Instagram, Blog, Fanclub
Character: HANAZONO / Hanazono Tae
RAISE A SUILEN’S RADIO R・I・O・T
A 30-minute web radio show on HiBiKi Radio Station broadcasting every Thursday at 12:00 JST. Hosted by Kurachi Reo and Tsumugi Risa.
- Listeners’ Corner
- General mail about anything RAS-related
- passions run R・I・O・T
- Send in mail about things you love and why. The hosts will dramatically read the letters!
- The first time a member appears on the show, they will also do this for something that they love!
- Come into the world
- The hosts will talk about some theme while expressing specific emotions/impressions. For example, “talk about something serious in a cute voice”.
- My Invincible Fighter
- Send in mail about an “invincible fighter” around you. For example, “my classmate falls asleep during the 1 o’clock class and doesn’t wake up until the 6 o’clock class. they must be an Invincible Fighter”.
Episodes / Synopses
- [2019.01.24] Episode 1
- [2019.01.31] Episode 2 (Kohara Riko)
- [2019.02.07] Episode 3
- [2019.02.14] Episode 4
- [2019.02.21] Episode 5 (Natsume)
- [2019.02.28] Episode 6
- [2019.03.07] Episode 7 (Raychell)
- [2019.03.14] Episode 8
- [2019.03.21] Episode 9
- [2019.03.28] Episode 10
- [2019.04.04] Episode 11 (Kohara Riko)
- [2019.04.11] Episode 12
- [2019.04.18] Episode 13 (Raychell)
- [2019.04.25] Episode 14
- [2019.05.02] Episode 15
- [2019.05.09] Episode 16 (Natsume)
- [2019.05.16] Episode 17
- [2019.05.23] Episode 18
- [2019.05.30] Episode 19
- [2019.06.06] Episode 20
- [2019.06.09] Garuparty 2019 in Ikebukuro
- [2019.06.13] Episode 21
- #RASの日常 (RAS no Nichijou, RAS’ Everyday)
- Used for RAS’ moments together
- #ちぇるの戯言 (Cheru no Zaregoto, Chell’s Nonsense)
- Used by Raychell for tweets about everyday things
- #なつぴーライフ (Natsupii Life)
- Used by Natsume for tweets about everyday things
- #りこぴん農園 (Rikopin Nouen, Rikopin Plantation)
- Used by Rikopin and her fanbase to address each other
- #つむつむつぶつぶ (TsumuTsumuTsubuTsubu, TsumuTsumu Tweets)
- Used by Tsumu for random tweets
- A play on her nickname + “tsubuyaku” (to tweet/to mutter)
- #チームRAS (Team RAS)
- Created by Reo during Genesis (7th Live)
- Used to summon a RAS Spirit Bomb
- #ちぇるなつ (ChellNatsu) / #なっちぇる (Nacchell)
- Used by Raychell and Natsume, respectively, for their moments together
“Catchphrases” from Mu~Comi+Plus:
Raychell – Natsume – Reo – Riko – Tsumu
- Kurachi Reo (PAREO)
- Sakuragawa Megu (Ako)
- Tsumugi Risa (CHU²)
- Aimi (Kasumi)
- Nishimoto Rimi (Rimi)
- Itou Ayasa (Arisa)
- Aiba Aina (Yukina)
- Itou Masahiro (Nanahoshi Ren)
- Hyuga Daisuke (Goryo Yuto)
- Maeda Seiji (Matoba Wataru)
- Morishima Shuuta (Kikyo Rio)
- Mimori Suzuko (Ushigome Yuri)
- Kitta Izumi (Uzawa Rii)
- Sasaki Mikoi (Wanibe Nanana)
- Raychell (LAYER)
- Natsume (MASKING)
- Otsuka Sae (Tae)
- Kudou Haruka (Sayo)
- Shizaki Kanon (Rinko)
Note: These five have previously been assembled as the “Ace Crew Special Band”. They performed a special collaboration stage with Fischer’s at the Live Crew on 2018.12.28 and another stage at the Sanriku Connect Festival event on 2018.03.30-31.